The Preschool History – Building successful partnerships since 1956
The Point Preschool was built in 1956 as a not-for-profit, community-based preschool to provide an educational preschool program for children aged 3 to 6 years. Local residents had a vision for a community operated preschool and Sutherland Shire Council became their partner and provided the land. The founding President of The Point, Mr David Farr-Wharton, with the assistance of many local parents built the preschool. David remained an active member of the Management Committee for 46 years, until 2002, before retiring to Queensland.
Today the preschool continues to operate as a community based, not for profit preschool, the land continues to be leased from the Sutherland Shire Council and parents continue to manage the preschool. This is a remarkable achievement and a sign of the preschool’s success.
Generations of families have brought their children to The Point – we now have grandparents who built and originally enrolled their children, now bringing their grandchildren back to preschool. It is wonderful to see parents who attended the preschool now returning with their children. Many people comment that the warm and supportive environment of the preschool remains since those very early years.